I began my career in social welfare work and returned to study at Monash University to become a psychologist. After completing my Masters in Psychology (Counselling) degree I remained with Monash for 14 years in research and teaching. My research focused on aged mental health including dementia, depression and anxiety. I also taught and supervised students. While the years involved in research were fulfilling and produced beneficial outcomes, I remained keen to commence private work and so in 2012 I took the opportunity to start with Nexus Psychology.
My private work has also been a rewarding experience – assisting clients to realise their potential, utilising their strengths and resources to create the changes they want in their lives. I too continue to build upon my skills to ensure clients are receiving the most appropriate therapy.
Clients I work with:
- Older Adults
Therapeutic Approaches I use:
- Solution Focused
Issues I work with:
- Garland, K., Beer, E., Eppingstall, B. & O’Connor, D. (2007). A Comparison of Two Treatments of Agitated Behavior in Nursing Home Residents with Dementia: Simulated Family Presence and Preferred Music. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 15, (6), 514-521
- O’Connor, D., Gardner, B., Eppingstall, B. & Tofler, D. (2010). Cognition in elderly patients receiving unilateral and bilateral electroconvulsive therapy: A prospective, naturalistic comparison. Journal of Affective Disorders, 124 (3), 235-240.
- van der Ploeg, E., Eppingstall, B. & O’Connor, D. (2010). The study protocol of a blinded randomised-controlled cross-over trial of lavender oil as a treatment of behavioural symptoms in dementia. BMC Geriatrics, 10, 49.
- Runci SJ, Eppingstall BE & O’Connor DW (2012). A comparison of verbal communication and psychiatric medication use by Greek and Italian residents with dementia in Australian ethno-specific and mainstream aged care facilities. International Psychogeriatrics, 24(5), 733-741.
- van der Ploeg E., Camp CJ. , Eppingstall B., Runci S. & O’Connor D. (2012) The study protocol of a cluster-randomised controlled trial of family-mediated personalised activities for nursing home residents with dementia. BMC Geriatrics. 12:2,
- O’Connor D., Eppingstall B., Taffe J. & van der Ploeg ES. (2013). A randomized, controlled cross-over trial of dermally-applied lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) oil as a treatment of agitated behaviour in dementia. BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine. 13:315.
- van der Ploeg ES., Eppingstall B., Camp C., Runci S. , Taffe J. & O’Connor D. (2013). A randomized crossover trial to study the effect of personalized, one-to-one interaction using Montessori-based activities on agitation, affect, and engagement in nursing home residents with Dementia. International Psychogeriatrics. 25(4):565-75.
- Runci S., Eppingstall B., van der Ploeg E. & O’Connor DW. (2014). Comparison of family satisfaction in Australian ethno-specific and mainstream aged care facilities. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 40(4):54-63.
- Davison T.E., Eppingstall B., Runci SJ. & O’Connor DW. (2015). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for older adults residing in long term care facilities: A pilot trial (submitted)